Shedding Light on Innovation
Micro-nanotechnology facilities at Canadian universities are a national asset for helping innovators advance and manage their R&D activities. The LAB2FAB bi-annual meeting provides a platform for industry, academic-based fabrication and characterization centres, and government labs to collaborate in overcoming their R&D challenges.
Our goal is to help all parties build their capacity and expertise to increase Canadian competitiveness in manufacturing of microsystems and nanotechnology innovations through team efforts to:
- Enhance connections among technology developers to maximize benefit from technology offerings throughout the Canadian ecosystem.
- Enhance access to infrastructure inside Canada and exchange value in cross-border partnerships.
- Connect funding opportunities to technology resources and end users.
- To encourage rich exchange among all participants, every speaker session also dedicates time for plenary discussion.
Speaker Session: Lab of the future
Innovations in the usage and management of nanofabrication labs.
- What noteworthy processing capabilities are emerging in open-access facilities?
- What expertise and services are users looking for in facilities?
- What do success stories teach us about the most promising R&D opportunities that can benefit from laboratory capabilities?
Speaker Session: Bridging discovery to production
Positioning technology development for commercialization and scale-up.
- Success stories of climbing the TRL ladder, technology transfer, and scale up.
Pitch Session: R&D Challenges Seeking Solutions
- Share lessons learned from a past or current R&D problem.
- Invite collaboration for solutions.
Speaker Session: Photonic Integrated Circuits – A Flourishing Canadian Ecosystem
An ecosystem view of the silicon photonics value chain in Canada.
- Examples of advancing photonics developments from concept to product.
- Connect to a network initiative or proposal.
- Understand industry needs in business and process capability.
Panel Session: Taking the next steps together
- What megatrends that will shape the next 10 years? Where should R&D efforts focus?
- What have the last two years taught us about the possibilities of a better normal?
- What actions should be taken after this workshop to pursue specific opportunities?
- And more…
Who Benefits from LAB2FAB?
- Academic-based fabrication and characterization centres
- Government laboratories
- Manufacturers and supply chain
- Technology developers
- Company builders
- Stakeholders in collaborative innovation